COMMUNITY IMPACT IN 2016
At Cy-Fair FCU, we’re committed to weaving “good” into everything we do.
Started by 10 local educators, we have a special and historic connection to the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District, and are honored to partner in its success as one of the top school districts in Texas.
Over the years, we’ve helped fund important education programs, as well as encouraged the dreams and aspirations of promising local students and teachers. Our support includes:
- $479,000 to the district in direct financial contributions
- $174,000 worth of scholarships to 184 high school seniors to help pay for higher education
- Thousands of dollars in classroom improvements through our annual Extreme Classroom Makeover initiative.
- Two years of mortgage payments ($48,000 total) to outstanding educators as part of our Spotlight Teacher Mortgage Give-Away
In 2016 alone, we poured more than $250,000 worth of financial support into local organizations and people.
While we’re proud of all the good we’ve been able to do in our community,
we’ve recently challenged ourselves to do more.
COMMUNITY ONLY BETTER
In 2013, we launched our Community Only Better Initiative—a 10-year, $500,000 pledge to invest in organizations and causes that strengthen our community. Each year since 2013, we’ve surpassed our $50,000 annual giving goal, contributing $64,460 in 2016, and a total of $284,360 since the start of the initiative.
Community Only Better isn’t just about financial support. With encouragement from our paid community hours policy, Cy-Fair FCU employees also logged 1,206 community hours in 2016, worth an estimated $41,000.
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY PROGRAM
In January, 2016 Cy-Fair FCU was recognized as the 2015 Large Business of the Year by the Cy-Fair Houston Chamber of Commerce. This recognition has only emboldened our commitment to do good. In 2016, we cast a vision for a new Social Responsibility Program that takes a holistic approach to community impact. Our program includes:
- Monetary support and ongoing financial counsel to our local partners
- Additional fundraising for our partners’ work—School Spirit Debit Cards unveiled in December help raise funds for a local school of choice, and a new credit card program coming soon will donate a certain percentage of each transaction to local non-profits. We’ll match a portion of these member donations
- Encouraging staff and members to support partner organizations with their time, money and skills
- An employer match for employee nonprofit donations
- Promoting financial, social and environmental stewardship across our credit union—such as minimizing the environmental impact of our current and future branches
CY-FAIR FCU STADIUM AT THE RICHARD E. BERRY EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT CENTER
July 2016 marked the beginning of a historic stadium naming rights agreement with Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District. This 10-year, $1.5 million partnership provides $150,000 annually in financial support for the school district’s operating budget. Our sponsorship can fund up to three classroom salaries each year and will help continue student-enriching programs like art, theater, music, history, and debate.
Cy-Fair FCU has a long and storied history of giving back. We want to do even more, to think bigger and more creatively in support of our great community!